Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 2: I've Arrived & To Prove It, I'm Here

Been listening to any song with the word "Duluth" in the title on Spotify. So far, my favorite one is "Duluth." I am officially here today and can also hear again too. All the gunk from my ear went back to my nose in the night. Better to hear people, then smell their breath. I hope to get out and about tomorrow and start making the most of this trip.

A quiet man let me into my apartment which I rented from a woman on AirBnb. He didn't say much. I asked where the pool was. He said "Lake Superior." It's a nice apartment. A little feminine but it'll work and way cheaper than some crap motel. A picture of Jesus sits in front of the toilet. He stares at you and he cries when you poop.

There's something called Alternate Side Parking. I'm parked on the side everyone else is, so I guess I'm good? There is snow. It's all around. There's a light drizzle now. There's also a lot of what I think is called "smud" - snow & mud. It's a blast to drive on. Your car goes this way and that way. Fun and little shady like any good carnival ride. One of my biggest goals with this trip is to successfully return the car to ACE without any incident.

Driving up from St. Paul this morning, I found this state really is beautiful. It's like what you always thought Christmas should look like from a California perspective. It was a "warm" 32 degrees today. I'm told the negative numbers are coming this weekend which I look forward to. I wanna know what cold is. I want Duluth to show me.

My only venture in town today was going to Super One Foods. I thought getting groceries for my apartment would help cut down on costs.  Not so when you shop at the Super One. It's like Safeway without the club card. Paying full price for things you know are overmarked hurts so bad. And they didn't have sliced salami or even salami sticks? Yet, they had entire displays of pepperoni. I looked for the beer aisle twice until I realized those couple 24 packs of Milwaukee's Best were it. They asked if I wanted paper or plastic. In SF, plastic is the devil's bag so I said paper. They gave me paper bags without handles. How can I carry 4 bags without handles in one trip? No wonder they looked at me weird. Really roughing it out here, folks. (SF SNOB ALERT)

Tomorrow I might meet people. I look forward to this.

My Cute Little Apartment.
















7 comments:

  1. If you return wearing a dress, we'll blame it on the apartment. And Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman did leave some of her clothes here.

      Delete
  2. Super One is pretty over-priced, as they are the only grocery store available for all the central-hillsiders without transportation (ghetto monopoly).
    Be sure to check out some of Duluth's more famous bands: Low (perfect for Duluth atmosphere), and new up-and-comers Trampled by Turtles.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_(band)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trampled_by_Turtles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "Duluth" song I liked was Trampled By Turtles. Had heard Low before. It DOES go with the atmosphere.

      Delete
  3. "I want Duluth to show me"......

    awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been lurking on your blog and meaning to comment, so I shall do so. In two installments.

    The apartment looks really nice and I bet it's better than the strange mystery spot/Cabinet of Dr. Caligari-like place you were in earlier.

    Layover in Phoenix: the airport is so large (I wandered through it on my stopover) but most of it looks dated. They did have delicious chai at the Press Bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the apt. is pretty nice actually. I will be sad to go back to my tiny room in a house with 5 other roommates in SF. No offense roommates.

      If I ever need to film a long gateway to infinity, Phoenix Airport is the place.

      Thanks for lurking, commenting! Come around again real soon.

      Delete